Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Proverbs 17:27 - Spare your words, remain calm

“He who has knowledge spares his words, and a man of understanding is of a calm spirit.”

Proverbs 17:27



One thing I love about getting older is that we seem to grow in our knowledge. If you have a teachable spirit, I am sure that you can look back on your life and see how you have increased in knowledge through the years as well. When I was younger, I talked nonstop. I had a lot to say. I hated it if in a conversation things got quiet and/or there was a long lull in communication. I thought something was wrong if this happened. Now I don’t seem to mind at all if things are quiet or if I have nothing to say. I am content in just being calm and “at peace” in my spirit/heart. I can sense His Holy Spirit more that way. My words have more meaning. I don’t find myself saying what I shouldn’t as often. I know better. James 1:19 tells us how we should be. It says “So then, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath.” I like what the New Living Translation says in Proverbs 17:27. It says “A truly wise person uses few words.” It goes on to say “a person with understanding is even-tempered.” Isn’t this what we desire? Don’t we want to be truly wise? Don’t we want to use few words? Do you see the wisdom in that? Do you want to be a person with understanding? Do you want to be even-tempered? Do you want to have a calm spirit? Then let us try our best to be “swift to hear, slow to speak, [and] slow to wrath.” Ask God to help you be. Your life will then bring glory to Him.
   

Father, may we have knowledge and spare our words. May we be men and women of understanding. May we have a calm spirit within us. Jesus was all knowledge. His words were life, seasoned with salt, and full of meaning. He had understanding. He had a calm spirit and a calm way about Him. Lord, we thank You that His Spirit resides within us. Help make us like Him in every way. Help us to be “swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath.” May we be truly wise men and women and spare our words. May we be even-tempered like You. We want our lives to bring glory to Your name. In Jesus’ name we pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment