Friday, June 12, 2015

Joshua 24:14 - Put away the gods your father served ... Serve the Lord!

“Now therefore, fear the Lord, serve Him in sincerity and in truth, and put away the gods which your fathers served … Serve the Lord!”

Joshua 24:14



We are to “fear the Lord.” We are to “serve Him in sincerity and in truth.” We are to “put away the gods which your fathers served.” My questions to you today are … “What gods did your father serve?” and “can you honestly say that you are not serving those gods?” Many of us don’t have father’s that served Buddha, Baal, or any other false god. This is good. But they may have had idols in their lives and served those idols, making them a god. My father had (and still has) the television on the whole time that he is awake. The television is so important to him. It is his lifeline. Because of this, my youngest brother has grown up and he has a television by the sink for when he does the dishes as well as for when he and his girls sit down to eat their meals, two televisions in his living room (one for him to watch his shows and one for his kids to watch their shows on the other side of the room), a television in each of their bedrooms, and a television to watch where he works out every night. When I got married I must admit that I took after my father. I had the television on all the time. When I woke up, the first thing I did was walk over to the television and turn it on. I was a Christian, I loved the Lord, but the television had a hold on me. The Holy Spirit had to reveal to me that the television was an idol in my life. Once I knew this, I knew that I had to be free. I had to cut myself off from it. “Put it away” so to speak. So I stopped my monthly cable subscription. The only things our family watched was our VHS videos of Veggie Tales and the Donut Man. After some time away from the television, I knew that the television was no longer an idol. I was free. The Lord told me that it was okay for me to subscribe to cable once again. I called the cable company and set up a time for them to come hook us up. We were only going to get the “basic” subscription package with the “basic” channels, channels 1 – 13. This way we would be able to have the news and know what is going on around the world. When the cable company came, the man told us that he didn’t have the part to make it just the “basic” channels. He told us that he would give us the “extended” package at the “basic” price. This was surely a blessing from the Lord. Instead paying and getting thirteen channels, we were paying for thirteen channels but receiving over eighty. We pay only twenty some dollars a month for our “extended” cable package. My parents pay over sixty dollars a month for the same package that we get. God honored my willingness to get rid of an idol by rewarding me with more than we asked for when it was no longer an idol in my life. Now I hardly ever watch the television. God is my God and I worship and serve Him.

I don’t know what gods your father had. Only you can answer that. But I do encourage you to be sure that the Lord is the only God that you are serving. Fear the Lord and serve Him in sincerity and truth. Put away the gods your father served. Again … “Serve the Lord!”


Father, May we fear You. May we serve You in sincerity and truth. May we put away the gods which our fathers served. May we worship the Lord our God (You) and serve Him (You) only. In Jesus’ name we pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment