Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Acts 20:35 - It is more blessed to give than to receive

You should remember the words of the Lord Jesus “It is more blessed to give than to receive.”

Acts 20:35



Many of Jesus’ words were recorded in the four gospels. Today’s verse shows us that not all of them were written down. Some of them were passed around by word of mouth. Luke mentions in Acts 20:35 that Jesus informed them that “It is more blessed to give than to receive.” I can totally relate with that. This Christmas I had so much fun picking out gifts for my family. My excitement level was so high that I lost some sleep at night because I was thinking while I lay upon my bed just how happy I was to give so and so this and that. I knew they would be so excited when they saw what I had gotten for them. I also knew it would make them feel special, loved. God loves a cheerful giver. 2 Corinthians 9:7 says “You must each make up your own mind as to how much you should give. Don’t give relunctantly or in response to pressure. For God loves the person who gives cheerfully.” Giving cheerfully brings joy to the giver. This joy overflows. We don’t have to give a lot. A small gift with much meaning can mean so much to the receiver. Be a good receiver. Think about all the love that went into the gift. Be sure to give thanks to the Lord with what He has blessed you with through them. And last, but not least, remember that Jesus is the reason for the season. Also remember that He is the best gift of all.


Father, it truly is all about You. You are the reason for the season. You shared Your Son to take away the sins of the world. Thank You, Lord, for Your gift. Jesus truly is the best gift of all. In the spirit of giving we thank You that we are able to share with others Your love for them as well. Use our love for others and our gifts for them to bless them and make them feel loved. May our generosity and thoughtfulness let them know that they are special to us and that we love and appreciate them. May they even feel Your love for them too. In Jesus’ name we pray. Amen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment