Thursday, October 9, 2014

1 Samuel 24:6 - Let God be our defender and deliverer

“And he said to his men, ‘The Lord forbid that I should do this thing to my master, the Lord’s anointed, to stretch out my hand against him, seeing he is the anointed of the Lord.’”

1 Samuel 24:6

David was in the recesses of a cave in the Wilderness of En Gedi. Saul took 3,000 chosen men and went to seek David. Saul went to attend to his needs in a cave that was by the road. David was given a word that God was going to deliver his enemy into his hand. He was also instructed that he could do to him as it seemed good to him by this man. David saw Saul and cut off a corner of Saul’s robe. David told his men “The Lord forbid that I should do this thing to my master, the Lord’s anointed, to stretch out my hand against him, seeing he is the anointed of the Lord.” David restrained his men and wouldn’t let them harm Saul. David left the cave and then called out to Saul. He told him “Look, this day your eyes have seen that the Lord delivered you today into my hand in the cave, and someone urged me to kill you. But my eye spared you, and I said, ‘I will not stretch out my hand against my lord, for he is the Lord’s anointed.’ Moreover, my father, see! Yes, see the corner of your robe in my hand! For in that I cut off the corner of your robe, and did not kill you, know and see that there is neither evil nor rebellion in my hand, and I have not sinned against you. Yet you hunt my life to take it. Let the Lord judge between you and me, and let the Lord avenge me on you. But my hand shall not be against you.” David knew that God’s hand of blessing had left Saul. He knew that he was going to be king of Israel some time in the future. Yet because God had at one time anointed Saul, David refused to lay a hand on him. David honored the Lord by sparing Saul’s life. He trusted the Lord to bring his kingship to pass. He wasn’t about to take matters into his own hand. David wasn’t going to usurp God’s place in this matter. If Saul needed to be removed as king to make a way for David, then God would have to do it. Even being urged to kill Saul, David was not going to strike the Lord’s anointed. We can learn so much from David. We can leave things in the Lord’s hand. We can trust the Lord to bring His will to pass in our lives and in the lives of others. We don’t have to interfere or play God. This means that we don’t have to run ahead of him and take matters into our own hand. We don’t have to usurp God’s place in the matter. We should give Him the respect that He deserves. He is Lord. We can trust Him.

Father, we come to You today and thank You for being our Lord. Forgive us for all the times we have taken matters into our own hands instead of waiting on You to bring Your will to pass. Help us to be patient and to wait for Your hand to move in our lives and the lives of others. May we not run ahead of You any longer and take matters into our own hand. May we not usurp Your place of honor. May we give You the respect that You deserve. You are Lord and we can trust You and your plans for our lives. When You do the work, when You take care of things, then it is done right. In Jesus’ name we pray. Amen.

Kimberly Lenz, Care Ministry Coordinator

Solid Rock Community Church

No comments:

Post a Comment